Wednesday 24 September 2014

Battle scars

Whilst in the depths of a minor 'writers' block, where inspiration is hard to come by, there is one topic that I love to talk about : my tattoos

To some they are ugly, pointless, common, rebellious and most unsightly. For others they are an entire art form, a way to express individuality and generally just good fun.

For me, they are my battle scars. I have many other self inflicted scars on my body, which really don't look great to the general public, but these scars I can love and be proud of, these scars mark my survival.

Let me explain ... Many years ago when I was 18, fresh faced and (fairly) innocent, I wanted a way of  permanently marking that god was always with me no matter how deep the valley I had entered and couldn't seem to leave. So I got a Chinese symbol for gods spirit to reflect this, I only got this when I had left the valley, I only got then to reinforce the strength I had.



And thus a tradition began, every time I have been released from the shackles of depression, sooner or later I have got a new piece of art work to reflect this. These are all based on my own designs and ideas and as you can imagine they mean a lot.

To me they are a reminder that I can survive almost anything life throws at me. When the day comes where I inevitably fall back into the valley (and believe me I become close on a alarming basis), at least I will be carrying around some symbol of hope.

In the end I like to believe it is better to mark our achievements instead of our failures, for those who believe body art it pointless, its not for most, its a mark of remembrance for something importance, for me it is a lifeline.

I hope one day they will not be needed, i hope one day my tattoos will reflect marriage, love, family and contentment, buy for now at least i have tattoos to remind me to believe in that stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment